3/26/08

Day One - March 24,2008


Schedule: 4:00 arrive at Minneapolis Airport.

6:00 take off towards Texas

8:20ish arrive at the Texas airport

10:00 flight takes off towards New Orleans

11:20 Flight arrives in New Orleans

12:00 Check into hotel

2:30 Tour to damaged areas

7:00 Supper

9:05-10:01 waited for a bus to take us back to the hotel!!!

Reaction:
March 24th was an exhausting day! I can honestly say that I would have been content checking into the hotel room and then sleeping the afternoon away, but I did not. Instead we took a tour around the city. Despite my deep desire to stare at my eyelids for hours I did realize it was an important part of the trip. It was our first true introduction to the city and it opened our eyes to what was and wasn’t there. I had heard all the stories that the population was currently about half of what it was the pre Katrina days, but I guess I had to see it with my own eyes truly understand what that meant. It could possibly be described as a checkerboard affect. In neighborhoods we were shown; some houses were fixed up and lived in and other houses seemed almost untouched from a few years back. Even the businesses were the same way. There were vacant storefronts, vacant lots, and vacant houses. It was a reality check. It was a storm that affected everyone no matter who you were and what you did for a living; it goes to show that you can never predict the future and must be thankful for what you are given.

No comments: